Friday, January 10, 2014

The Backup Boyfriend by River Jaymes


The Backup Boyfriend buy links
Kindle US
Kindle UK
Kindle CA
Kindle AU

Description
Professionally, Dr. Alec Johnson has almost reached his goals. As this year’s recipient of a humanitarian award with his ex, Dr. Tyler Hall, Alec’s work with the homeless is about to be recognized. Unfortunately, his personal life sucks because now he has to attend several events alongside Tyler—with his ex’s new boyfriend in tow. In an attempt to lift his mood and break out of his rut, Alec purchases a motorcycle he has no idea how to start. 

Dylan Booth doesn't have time for Dr. Clueless and his fickle 1964 Harley, but the cocky mechanic can’t say no to the request for help. Having spent his teen years on the streets, and losing his best friend to HIV, Dylan decides teaching the do-gooder how to ride is the least he can do. But watching Alec flounder in his ex's company throws Dylan into protector mode, and the confirmed hetero introduces himself as Alec's new boyfriend. 

The ex suspects Dylan is lying. 

Alec claims Dylan’s plan is insane. 

And Dylan’s not sure he can fake being gay. 

But he’s a master bullshitter, and the phony PDA soon turns ultra-hot. Alec can’t afford to get attached, and Dylan’s learned everyone eventually leaves. Unfortunately, playing the backup boyfriend is starting to feel way too real… 

CONTENT WARNING: This book contains Man-on-Man action, adult situations, and language. 

Review
The Backup Boyfriend is book 1 of The Boyfriend Chronicles.
I kept hearing about how great it was so I had to check it out for myself.  I was not disappointed.

The outline went gay guy is dumped by long time boyfriend.  Ex-boyfriend gets a new boyfriend so gay guy tries to reinvent himself by getting a motorcycle.  He meets the straight mechanic and develops feelings for said straight guy.

I expected the straight guy to also develop feelings and finally deciding he is gay or bi, and the ex to see what he lost and the new couple to ride off into the sunset.

There is so much more going on in this story.  It contains so many layers and interesting characters.

Alec is not the average doctor you read about in a steamy book.  There is exceedingly more to him, his job, his family and his background.  Over the course of the story, the reader is shown so much of Alec and what he's all about, so many qualities and quirks to love.

Dylan the presumably straight man is the most fascinating character in the book to me.  I figured since he was the straight man, his biggest problem would be having feelings for a man, but his largest block is commitment.  He is damaged.  His past and how he comes to finally figure out his place in this world are breathtaking, in my opinion.  The more that I discovered about him, the more I wanted to know.  And the more I knew, the more I could see he is finally exactly where he was meant to be all along.

my original fan pic


Then, there is their mutual friend Noah, another gay man who tends to be more on the flamboyant side.  But underneath his loud demeanor is a sweet man who's also went through some deep places.  I would like to see more about him in a future book in the series.

I wouldn't miss this fake-homo show for all the Gucci shoes on Rodeo Drive.

Finally, I need to say a little about Tyler, the ex.  We probably learn the least about him, but he isn't the despicable ex I was assuming he would turn out to be.  He ends up being a good guy after I got to know him somewhat.  Book 2 is suppose to be his story I believe.  And I am looking forward to it.

Anyways, the characters are so extremely well-developed and don't follow the usual patterns that I presumed they would.  I really, really got into the revealing of each.
It isn't just a sexy read; it is a thought-provoking read.  I must say though, the sex is sizzling.  Everything doesn't wrap up perfectly in the end, but it is a great ending.  I think this book was more real.  It wasn't all about the shock and awe.  It was about accepting life and others as they come.  It just happened to come in a red-hot lustful package.



I also have to give a special shout out to the author for writing a book about individuals that actually communicate.  I didn't have the desire to throw my kindle across the room one time because of a misinterpretation between the love interests that leads to half a book of drama.  Everything didn't go perfect, they did fight and have misunderstandings and so on, but they soon went back after the problem in a mature way.  It's amazing to read about grown ups acting grown up.

So anyways, Alec and Dylan-yum.




River Jaymes Author links
Website
Goodreads
Twitter

About this author

By day, River works as a (mostly) mild mannered physician in a remote Alaskan town. And she’s accumulated the wacky stories that come with the job. At night, the author’s inner badass comes out to play. River likes to read and write books with varying levels of humor and plenty of hot, steamy sex between two hunky men.

River's other interests include medicine, snow, sled dogs, snow, snowmachines, snow, medivacs in the middle of the night, snow . . . you get the drift.



toni





2 comments:

  1. I loved this book! Dylan's humor is priceless! And Alec is so sweet and shy you just want to tuck him way in your pocket and protect him from the big bad world! Noah's gay flamboyantness add's the right amount of flare that just everything off perfectly w/o going overboard.
    Great reviews, Thanks Toni!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with everything you said! And thank you!

      Delete