Sunday, October 18, 2015

Reviews Bad Romeo + Broken Juliet by Leisa Rayven





Title: Bad Romeo
Author: Leisa Rayven
Series: Starcrossed 
Release Date: December 23rd 2014


Synopsis

When Cassie Taylor met Ethan Holt at acting school, sparks flew. She was the good girl actress. He was the bad boy about campus. But one fated casting choice for Romeo and Juliet changed it all. Like the characters they were playing, Cassie and Ethan's romance seemed destined. Until he broke her heart and betrayed her trust. Now the A-list heartthrob is back in her life and turning her world around. One touch at a time.

Cast as romantic leads once again, they're forced to confront raw memories of the heartbreaking lows and pulse-pounding highs of their secret college affair. But they'll also discover that people who rub each other the wrong way often make the best sparks.



Buy Links

Kobo 


Review

I kept hearing about this book; it was everywhere and people were going on and on about how good it is.

So, out of curiosity, I thought I'd read it. Yes, I knew about the cliffhanger ending and waited for book 2 to be out.

Let me just start with how much I liked the writing style. It was funny, witty, sometimes sarcastic but it could also give you the feels, at the right scenes. Which is a big YES!

We see two sides of the main characters. The before and after. The kids that got into college, working hard to become professional actors; and then we see the accomplished adults, years later. It's a back-and-forth between past and present. It starts with the present, which honestly broke my heart and made me feel for the hero, but then it switches to the past, showing us why things are the way they are, years later. Which, frankly, made me not feel sorry for the hero anymore. So yes, I'm on the fence about Ethan Holt. He's... wow, he's kinda messed-up, a pretty complex and difficult character. The title fits him perfectly. As for Cassie, she's funny but sometimes awkward and I kinda wanted to shake some sense into her younger self, several times, but her older self is wiser, so all's well!

I liked this book. It made me laugh, it made me cringe, swoon, it broke my heart, in several places. I have to admit, older Holt is on the right track to winning my heart, as well as Cassie's.

4 stars, good debut and I thank NetGalley for the copy given in exchange for honest review. 



Title: Broken Juliet
Author: Leisa Rayven
Series: Starcrossed
Release Date: April 28th 2015


Synopsis

How do you fix a love that’s been broken beyond repair?

For years, Cassie Taylor tried to forget about Ethan Holt. He was the one great love of her life, and when he failed to return her love, a part of her died forever. Or so she thought. Now she and Ethan are sharing a Broadway stage, and he’s determined to win her back. Claiming to be a changed man, he’s finally able to say all the things she needed to hear years ago, but can she believe him? What makes this time different from all his other broken promises?

Ethan knows he can’t change their tumultuous past, but if he’s going to have any chance of being with the woman he loves, he’ll need to convince Cassie that her future belongs with him.

Don’t miss this stunning conclusion to the unforgettable love story that captivated over two million fans online.



Buy Links

Kobo 


Review

It's tougher to review this one because I feel conflicted about it. Did I like it? Do I recommend it? Will I reread it?

After the ending from Bad Romeo, I wanted to see what else happens. Well, "a lot of drama" just about sums it up. Getting back together, breaking up, past and present collide. Karma. Oh, does Karma play a big role here! See, because of Ethan Holt - who, unfortunately, did not make it onto my BBF list - and his demons, the heroine, Cassie, became the way she is in the present. Wary. Panicky. Afraid.

Before going further, I want to say that the only reasonable and like-able characters for me were Ruby and Tristan. Because the hero and heroine lacked that. In the past, Ethan ran from commitment - he's the poster boy for it, I don't think I've ever come across a character like him - and Cassie was a doormat. I applauded Ruby for pointing it out. So yes, drama, drama, and more drama.

Now, that was the past. The present... here's where I feel conflicted. Ethan matured, he got help and he changed. He really bends over backwards to please Cassie. Cassie may be wary, but she's wiser. If the story had, mostly, consisted of the present, I would have liked it more. The past selves annoyed me. But then, we wouldn't have known why the present was the way it was and really, the author's style is to my liking, even though her characters aren't.

So, 3 - 3.5 stars and will look forward to reading more from her. Who knows. Copy was given through NetGalley in exchange for honest review. Thank you. 


Author Info

Leisa Rayven is an Australian author. Bad Romeo is her debut novel, followed by Broken Juliet. Series will feature two more books - that we know of, so far.




by Iza  

No comments:

Post a Comment