Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Author Spotlight and Review Wynn in Doubt by Emily Hemmer





Title: Wynn in Doubt
Author: Emily Hemmer
Publication Date: May 7th 2014


Synopsis

The memory of a stolen kiss ten years ago stirs up an adventure eighty years in the making.

Wynn Jeffries has wanderlust. Unfortunately, her life stalled somewhere between graduating college and slinging drinks at the local dive bar. Stuck in a one-room apartment with no career, no boyfriend, no…life, she dreams of something more. Something amazing. Something like Oliver Reeve’s, her high school crush, whose back in town and reminding Wynn of the way she used to want things.

When a forgotten news-clipping about two prohibition moonshiners falls out of a book belonging to Wynn’s grandmother, a well-kept family secret is finally revealed. Is Wynn’s gypsy spirit the result of an overactive imagination or did she inherit it from a woman so determined to live a big life she gave up everything to have it?

The choices we make now shape our future. It’s the fear of making the wrong ones that give us doubt. So the question is: how much are we willing to sacrifice to have the life we want?




Buy Links

Author Links






Author Interview


Who is Emily Hemmer?

Someone once told me that in your twenties you pretend to be someone else, in your thirties you try to be someone else, and in your forties you finally become comfortable with who you truly are.  I’m thirty-five.  I’m still trying to become the person I want to be.  A happy one.
  
When and how did you know you wanted to become a writer?

I can’t remember a time when I didn’t enjoy writing and creating stories, whether they were in my mind or on paper.  But it wasn’t until four years ago that I began to think seriously about writing a book.  I’d been idling for some time, waiting for something to come along and change my life for me.  One day I was in a Borders Books and it struck me that I already had the tools needed to make that change myself, right then. When I sat down and began to write it felt like the most obvious thing in the world -- I chided myself for wasting so many prime imagination-driven years.

Where do you look for a source of inspiration?

No one place.  Movies and music inspire me quite a lot.  History and uncovering why people do the things they do also gets my creativity flowing.

If one song could be the soundtrack to your life, what would it be?


Awake My Soul -- Mumford & Sons.  “In these bodies we will live, in these bodies we will die. Where you invest your love, you invest your life.”  Those words have served as my motto for several years now.

 
Marilyn, Audrey or Jackie?

Audrey.  She understood the importance of empathy, acceptance, and kindness.  She helped a lot of people in her life and left behind a legacy to try and make the world a better place.

What's your favorite way of spending a lazy Sunday? 

Breakfast with my husband at our favorite spot. A walk through the woods with the whole family, the dog included.  Catching a movie and going for ice cream afterwards. Then steaks and corn on the cob, both hot off the grill, a beer in my hand and music on the record player.

What are your favorite five books?

Cause Celeb - Helen Fielding

Harry Potter series - JK Rowling

Backpack - Emily Barr

Blessed Are the Cheesemakers - Sarah Kate Lynch
Persuasion - Jane Austen

Wynn suffers from wanderlust. Where would you love to go?

Everywhere.  But if I had to pick one in this moment, I think Australia.  It does something to my soul when I look at pictures of that country/continent. 

One word that defines you.

Dreamer.








“There’s still time for your adventure, Wynn.”  
 

This book has evoked so many feelings and it’s so hard to put them down, into words because I know they won’t do the story justice. Won't do the characters and what they’ve been through justice. I laughed from the first chapter because it was funny, light and easy, but then, as the storyline flowed easily, it got deeper and deeper. 

Wynn is stuck. That is what she feels. She’s twenty-eight and she feels as if she hasn’t done or accomplished anything. She thought she wanted something, went after it but things never went her way. She finally settled for the mediocre, instead of the big she’s always wanted. But the passing of her grandmother, a woman she has loved very much has a major impact on her life, more than just leaving emptiness behind, more than Wynn missing her. 

He looked at her the way all women want to be looked at by a man.” Boy, did you get that right, Fitzgerald.

Because of Wynn’s ‘thing’ – her love of books – she gets her Grams’ books, the classics she read and loved. A book in particular, one that I believe plays an important role in the story and, especially a substory, The Great Gatsby. She finds something that makes her question everything. And with the help of a person she never thought she’ll see ever again, she embarks on a journey, both physical and emotional. She needs to learn what happened to someone very important to her but someone she has never ever met. When others tell her it is foolish, she doesn’t listen and tries her best to find out everything, hoping for closure, for a HEA. 


 I don’t want to spoil the journey the reader takes, along with Wynn and Oliver – who, by the way, is not only a hot rock star trying to find the passion for music he seemed to have lost, but is also awesome and oh-so-swoon-worthy, 

“You’ve always been my muse.”

but I’ll just say this: if you’ve read The Great Gatsby or even seen one of the movies, you know what it’s about. A young lady stuck in an unhappy marriage and even though she finds the love of her life for the second time, she is too afraid to try, to do something to be with him and be happy. Lola is a Daisy that’s not afraid of doing something, in order to be happy, to be more than just a wife and a mother. 

Two stories unfold in parallel. We find everything out, along with Wynn and Oliver. The Great Gatsby is one of my favorite classical books and I loved the hinted-at association. I loved Lola. I’m sure you’re wondering what I’m talking about, who’s Lola and what did she do.

If Lola’s story has taught me anything it’s that life is about choices. I may get them wrong sometimes, as she did, but the important thing is to try. I need to start trying.

But for that, you’ll have to read Wynn in Doubt and believe me, you won’t regret it. Just be prepared to get blurry vision, once in a while and to accept that sometimes, the journey is the important thing, not the destination. And, even if we had something that made us happy only for a while, we still had it. 

I think too often we fear the unknown when what we should be afraid of is the undone.

I was lucky enough to have received a copy of this book from the author in exchange of an honest review and it was truly an honor for me. I rarely come across books that make me stop and wonder. Not five stars. That’s not enough. Six. Six stars. 

“Have you seen enough of the world yet?” He speaks so only I can hear. I know he’s asking whether or not I’m ready to come back to him.

“No,” I say, finding his eyes. “But I’ve seen enough of it alone.”

 

No comments:

Post a Comment