Thursday, May 8, 2014

Transcendence by Shay Savage


Transcendence 
by 
Shay Savage









It’s said that women and men are from two different planets when it comes to communication, but how can they overcome the obstacles of prehistoric times when one of them simply doesn’t have the ability to comprehend language?

Ehd’s a caveman living on his own in a harsh wilderness. He’s strong and intelligent, but completely alone. When he finds a beautiful young woman in his pit trap, it’s obvious to him that she is meant to be his mate. He doesn’t know where she came from; she’s wearing some pretty odd clothing, and she makes a lot of noises with her mouth that give him a headache. Still, he’s determined to fulfill his purpose in life – provide for her, protect her, and put a baby in her.

Elizabeth doesn’t know where she is or exactly how she got there. She’s confused and distressed by her predicament, and there’s a caveman hauling her back to his cavehome. She’s not at all interested in Ehd’s primitive advances, and she just can’t seem to get him to listen. No matter what she tries, getting her point across to this primitive, but beautiful, man is a constant – and often hilarious – struggle. 

With only each other for company, they must rely on one another to fight the dangers of the wild and prepare for the winter months. As they struggle to coexist, theirs becomes a love story that transcends language and time.












Shay Savage lives in Cincinnati, Ohio with her husband, two children, and a variety of household pets. She is an accomplished public speaker, and holds the rank of Distinguished Toastmaster from Toastmasters International. When not writing, she enjoys science fiction movies, masquerading as a zombie, is a HUGE Star Wars fan, and member of the 501st Legion of Stormtroopers. When the geek fun runs out, she also loves soccer in any and all forms - especially the Columbus Crew, Arsenal and Bayern Munich - and anxiously awaits the 2014 World Cup. Savage holds a degree in psychology, and she brings a lot of that knowledge into the characters within her stories.








 TranscendenceTranscendence by Shay Savage
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This book is stunningly amazing, startlingly impressive to me.

Transcendence, the word, is über deep in meaning. The following are some of the definitions I came across which I believe apply to this story:



First off, the story is like none other that I can recall. Nothing comes to mind for comparison. It definitely goes beyond the limits of ordinary experience. This is the use of the title in relation to the reader. Reading this book will cause you to think and wonder. I don't know what category it even goes into for classification. It contains elements from several genres.

Beh's experience, I think, would be the second definition. Her life ends up being far more wonderful than the practical occurrence of everyday existence. She undergoes the incident of a lifetime...no it's bigger than that, I don't have words for it.

Ehd's reality fits into definition three, as far as I can tell. He knows that something isn't normal about Beh and the happenings that surround her, but to him it's all too much to contemplate. It's just her, him, love, basic urges and instincts. Life outside of that can't even factor in.
I tilt my head to the side, listening to the three short sounds she utters in a row.

She may be strange; she may not know how to make baskets, and she may be very noisy, but she is my mate, and I'm thrilled she is here.

The love between Beh and Ehd fits into the fourth option. They come from totally different realities, backgrounds, everything, yet they find true love within each other. The desires, needs and wants they feel show through no matter the barriers they have.
My life with Beh was beautiful, transcending everything that set us apart from each other and bringing us together with our family and tribe.

Alternative five is the total sum of all—characters, storyline, etc. Beh travels through space and time meet Ehd. This is where some heavy thinking comes in. What are space and time? Do they really exist? It would be easy to go off on a tangent about metaphysics and eternity of life. But I'm definitely not going there with this review.

If it's stripped down to the entertainment of it, which may be the way the author intended, probably where most of us directed our focus, we have the relationship and the day-to-day living. Ehd is a caveman incapable of grasping language at all. The cavepeople (is that a word) in this story, are missing the part in their brains that allow the comprehension and usage of language. Nothing else is wrong with them, and they're not stupid. Ehd and Beh are thrown together and have to figure everything out as they go. Going through the education process with them is really eye-opening about what all we take for granted in the modern world.

(Sometimes I laughed out loud while reading.)
We eat; I put my penis inside of her for a while, and then I fall back to sleep.

After a few days, Beh stops bleeding and crying, and my head stops hurting.

Ehd instantly loves Beh and will do anything for her—and does. The depth of his love is just awe-inspiring. People today don't usually love like this. We're too obsessed with 'life' which is really all the distractions around us. We don't spend quality time together. Beh and Ehd spend mostly all their time together. They help each other and learn from each other. He's a great lover BTW and hones his skills just from paying attention. Without language people really have to 'see' the other person, and actions don't lie like words can. Also we don't depend upon each other like is necessary for them. Mates help one another with everything. Periods, births, he's totally there. Mr. Caveman is not squeamish like modern men. It was highly enlightening.
I don't understand why I'm doing this in the freezing cold, but apparently I will do anything to make my mate happy, even follow her into cold water.

Another thing that stands out to me while reading this is how important social contact and intimacy are. Humans aren't made to lead solitary lives. Although I prefer to be alone, I doubt I would if that was my only option. In this day and age we don't give credence to the role fellowship plays in survival.
There is nothing—nothing in my entire existence—that compares to waking up with my mate curled tightly against my chest. Though I had not realized it at the time, the loneliness had weighed heavily on me during my time of isolation, and now I'm beginning to wonder if I would have survived much longer on my own. I could hunt and protect myself, but the lack of companionship had been slowly destroying my will to live.

Often in conversation I've heard the word caveman as a euphemism for an idiotic, selfish, lazy, uncaring man. Ehd is the opposite of all of those, the complete opposite. He is so kind, sweet, self-sacrificing, full of love, and an expert in body language. There's no attempt at playing cool. He has no shame in his game. He's all about his family.

(Sometimes I cried while reading.)
I rub my cheek against her shoulder and tighten my grip. I wrap my arms around her and twist our legs together as well, just for good measure. I want to make sure nothing can separate us. I want to be positive we will remain together forever.


In my opinion, this is a book that everyone should read. I think it would be equally liked by men and women. Five stars just isn't a high enough rating for it's greatness. While reading, I laughed, I cried, I had wow moments....and...yeah, be prepared for a book like none other. Ladies be prepared for a man like none other. Meet Ehd.














No comments:

Post a Comment