Tuesday, October 30, 2018

The Boy I Grew Up With by Tijan





I have loved Channing Monroe all my life.

In first grade, he asked for my Trapper Keeper.
I hit him in the head with it.
Third grade, we were best friends. We kissed in seventh grade.
Eighth grade, he turned into a bad boy and the rest was a tumultuous storm.

Growing up, the problem was never love for us.
Bad times. Good times. There were times when I felt our love in every inch of my body, vibrating, making me feel like it could bring me back to life.

The problem was us.

The problem is that we’re living in two different worlds now.
Fallen Crest and its millionaires for me. Roussou and their criminals for him. I was thriving in mine and he was running his.

But…

But there were nights I felt we couldn’t be further apart than we were, and there were nights I felt we shared the same heartbeat.

When was it time?
When was it time to either sacrifice, make a change, or walk away from the boy I grew up with?
 





REVIEW
The Boy I Grew Up With by Tijan


For those who have read Fallen Crest High series & more recently Crew you will be familiar with Channing & Heather, this is their story. 


Heather, outside of Sam, was probably my favourite female character Tijan has written & Channing is the big brother to Bren and is responsible for starting the first 'Crew' back when he was in High School. This story spans literally their whole lives from way back (through flashbacks) when they first met in first grade. 'He'd worked his way under my skin in first grade. 
The epilogue finishes way in the future where we catch up with Sam & Mason too! So it feels like a really long book but the story is written so well the pages effortlessly turn.

He'd declared us best friends in third. We'd held hands in fifth. We shared our first kiss in seventh, and he'd been a headache ever since." 

Heather & Channing are my favourite couple next to Sam & Mason. They have both had traumatical childhoods & this emotional baggage moulds their actions and life choices growing up and as adults. But throughout the whole story, which is at times frustrating, heartbreaking & emotional, one connection stands out Channing and Heather are not only best friends but soulmates who unequivocally love each other. You get some background into Channing's Crew and the reason Heather decides not to join which starts the rift between them and Heather's forced decision to take over running the family's restaurant & look out for her older brother. 

Overall 4 stars a great read.Heather just wants Channing and is fed up with being put second to his Crew and Channing doesn't want anyone other than Heather but can't walk away from his Crew or the protection of the town. There are some fairly violent scenes with the local motorcycle club which gives an incite into how dangerous things get for Channing's crew.
4*

BUY ME

No comments:

Post a Comment