Sunday, September 27, 2015

Review Wolfsgate by Cat Porter





Title: Wolfsgate
Author: Cat Porter
Series: Standalone
Release Date: November 20th 2014


Synopsis

My resurrection, they call it.

They have no bloody idea.

Shipwrecked and lost, left for dead,
Abandoned by my own family.
Drugged and addicted.

My wife saved me, brought me home.
I didn’t even know I had a wife—can I trust her?
I know I want her.
Desperately.
We are two of a kind—the manipulated, the tossed off, the rejected.

Bitter disappointments, painful secrets, age-old jealousies are my new shipwreck,
and my wife my new opium.

Is satisfaction to be found in revenge or revenge in satisfaction?
One thing I do know, without each other we’re both doomed.


Wolfsgate

A sensual 18th century tale of deception, revenge, and two souls hungering for love and absolution.



Buy Links

Kobo 


Author Bio

I daydream all the time, "what if" way too much, and am a lip-biting romantic. And I don't want to be cured of any of those. Ever.



Books by Cat Porter

Lock & Key series

Lock & Key #1
Random & Rare #2
Iron & Bone #3 --- COMING SOON


Wolfsgate


  
I love historical romance novels. I also love Cat's writing. So when I found out she wrote one, I jumped right onto the ride and I don't regret one second or page of it.

First, let me tell you that this book is not a fluffy historical romance; it's a little bit darker, has a certain Bronte-esqe feel to it, yet it also brings of Austen, with certain characters and scenes.

Second, Lord Brandon Graven. Yes, this man deserves a paragraph dedicated to him in my review. Poor guy has been drugged out of his mind in a hospital, all alone, without anyone knowing he was still alive after a shipwreck. But he gets back to his rightful place, however everything has changed. Nothing is the way he had left it, when he went off to Jamaica, a few years prior. He wakes up married to a girl he grew up with, with no recollection of how and when that happened.

Now, our heroine may be a pawn used against the hero, but she's no delicate flower. She's actually strong and she's intelligent, outsmarting the bad guys and making sure everything is as it should be. Justine is a combination of Jane Eyre and Lizzie Bennett, if you will. At least, that's how I see her.

Of course, this book has some really HOT scenes - oh, that Lord Brandon and those beads - but it also has a few secrets that need to be told, lies, deception, schemes, and games.

Yes, there was a moment when I thought my heart would stop and I was thinking, "No, he wouldn't!", so I skipped ahead a few pages, then went back to read the ones I've skipped. What can I say, I was so invested in this story, in these characters and what was happening, that I was this close to banging my kindle against a hard surface, had he truly were to have done it. He didn't, so all was well.

I know that's all cryptic but believe me, you need to read this to experience the feels by yourself. If I tell you all about them, what remains for you to experience?

I loved this book, I do hope there will be more, and I am rating it 4.5 - 5 stars. Because really, Lord Brandon and his damn beads.

"Lord Graven, I thought you were controlling your urges."
"My urges for you are particularly strong these days. The one happy aftereffect of the opiate. It ceaselessly demands satisfaction."
 

No comments:

Post a Comment