Friday, March 6, 2015

Review The Summer Remains by Seth King





Title: The Summer Remains
Author: Seth King
Series: Standalone
Release Date: February 14th 2015


Synopsis

Twenty-four-year-old Summer Johnson knows two things. The first is that due to a quickly worsening medical condition, she faces a risky surgery in three months’ time that may or may not end in her death. The second is that she would like to fall in love before then.

As spring sinks into her namesake season on the Florida coastline, Summer plays the odds and downloads a new dating app - and after one intriguing message from a beautiful surfer named Cooper Nichols, it becomes clear that the story of what may be her last few months under the sun is about to be completely revised. All she has to do now is write something worth reading.

Tender, honest, devastating and triumphant, The Summer Remains explores a very human battle being waged in a very digital age: the search for a love that will outlast this temporary borrowing of bones. In an era when many feel compelled to share and re-share anything about everything, prepare to feel a love so special, you will want to hug it close and make it yours forever.
  


Buy Links


Author Bio


Seth King is a twenty-five-year-old American author.




You know how sometimes you just stumble upon a book that makes you stop and think? You don't lose yourself in a funny romance story, with the much-awaited happily-ever-after and leaves you with a sense of fleeting happiness and that's it? You move on to the next similar book because, after all, we read to lose ourselves. I'm not saying I don't enjoy reading such books. I'd be a liar and a hypocrite. It's just that I really do love books that are more. Deeper. As I said, make you stop and think. I rarely come across such books and what I love is that, long after I'm done with them, they still stay with me. I remember the last book that was such. I read it last year and it still comes to mind and makes me smile. Sure, others stay with us but this is different.

"Now that my life has a possible expiration date, why did I feel like I'd only started living?"

This book hit close to home; it also made me connect with the characters on a deeper level because I myself am about to turn a quarter of a century but am terrified of everything that is life and still am drifting in a sea of unknown, much like Cooper. But he found his anchor. He found Summer.

"It's all, like, peering around a dark corner, terrified of what you're gonna see, terrified to even begin imagining a future for yourself because you haven't even figured out the present yet."

Oh, Summer! I write this with tears in my eyes. You are one of the strongest heroines I've ever encountered in literature and you girl, you are truly inspiring.

And Cooper... God, I am so in love with him!

"I am you, Summer. You are me. You're not a problem, you're a gift. A gift that talks about emotional stuff too often, is a bit too stubborn, and snores extremely loudly, but a gift nonetheless."

Going in, I was 90% sure I'd cry while reading this book. I was wrong. Oh, I cried, don't get me wrong! I bawled like a baby - still am - but it also made me smile and melt and the ending was... Let's just say since I'm a romantic at heart and love my HEAs, things don't always turn out the way we want them to.

"So many people let the circumstances of their lives drag them down - they let the world happen to them. But I wanted to happen to the world."

This story, this book talked to me and - even though I cried so much - I smiled at the end of it all and I'm truly happy I got to read it.

Of course that I am giving this book 5 ++++ stars and it's, hands down, one of the most beautiful books I've ever read. I am sure that, in the future, one day, I would once again read it, and would feel the exact same things I did reading it the first time.

I'm going to end this rather long review with one, but simple, truth:

"The summer remained."

***I want to thank the author from the bottom of my heart for a copy in exchange of an honest review.***  

No comments:

Post a Comment