Thursday, January 19, 2017

Review- Feversong by Karen Marie Moning

Feversong by Karen Marie Moning



Karen Marie Moning returns with the epic conclusion to her pulse-pounding Fever series, where a world thrown into chaos grows more treacherous at every turn. As Mac, Barrons, Ryodan, and Jada struggle to restore control, enemies become allies, right and wrong cease to exist, and the lines between life and death, lust and love, disappear completely.

Black holes loom menacingly over Dublin, threatening to destroy the Earth. Yet the greatest danger is the one MacKayla Lane has unleashed from within: the Sinsar Dubh—a sentient book of unthinkable evil—has possessed her body and will stop at nothing in its insatiable quest for power.

The fate of Man and Fae rests on destroying the book and recovering the long-lost Song of Making, the sole magic that can repair the fragile fabric of the Earth. But to achieve these aims, sidhe-seers, the Nine, Seelie, and Unseelie must form unlikely alliances and make heart-wrenching choices. For Barrons and Jada, this means finding the Seelie Queen who alone can wield the mysterious song, negotiating with a lethal Unseelie prince hell-bent on ruling the Fae courts, and figuring out how to destroy the Sinsar Dubh while keeping Mac alive.

This time, there’s no gain without sacrifice, no pursuit without risk, no victory without irrevocable loss. In the battle for Mac’s soul, every decision exacts a tremendous price.
 




"He kissed me like I was the empire he was sworn to protect and would die a thousand deaths to keep secure. He kissed me like I was a woman with a deep dark wildness that needed to be fed and he knew just how to do it. He kissed me like he was dying and this was the last kiss he would ever taste. Then his kiss changed and his tongue was velvet and silk as he kissed me like I was fine bone china that needed exacting care and gentleness. Then the storm built in both of us and I ground myself against him, and he was searching with his kiss and his hands sliding down to my ass for the part of me that was a savage animal and so was he and we were going to forget the world and become two primal, uncomplicated beasts fucking as if the universe depended on our passion to fuel it. And I was pretty sure we could. I felt something building in me, a hunger that was exhilarated to be alive and knew it could come out and play as hard as it wanted, because I could never break this man. He could handle anything. My temper, my need for adventure and stimulation, my intellect, rages, and rants, even the darkness of my shadow-self. A frenzy of lust exploded inside me and I met the savagery of his kiss with all the savagery in my soul, and there is one fuck of a lot of it."




5 Stars


This book.....it made me sad, frustrated, worried and most of all, happy and hopeful. Happy and hopeful for all the things that are yet to come for so many characters. 

The Sinsar Dubh has been wreaking havoc upon the world, but most notably in Dublin where the stories have been centered. Black holes threaten to engulf and swallow the Earth, and it's a race against time to figure out how to fix the problems. I will say that sometimes the Sinsar Dubh was so far in it's own head that it was difficult to read.....but once I got past those parts, the story was quite engaging.

I must say that the character I found most intriguing in this book was Ryodan. He lets us into his head and his thought processes just a bit, and what I read was astounding. He's a man who knows what he wants, and that he must bide his time, even knowing how difficult that will be. He's got a heart of gold, and he really surprised me with his thoughts.

Dani is acting more like the Dani we know and love, and less like Jada. She's letting people in and she's allowing them to see her vulnerable, which for her is a huge stride forward. I don't think she'll ever be the overly affectionate, lovey-dovey type and that works for her. I think there's a lot of story left to develop for Dani and I hope we get that sooner rather than later.

Mac is the primary focus of this book (as she should be) and the growth we see from her is fantastic. she realizes she's stronger than she ever thought and it her sheer will power that frees her from the dread of the Sinsar Dubh. Mac is surprised with how she's required to evolve and change in this book. Her relationship with Barrons is stronger and better than ever. 

KMM went much more graphic in this book than previous books. Some of the actions of the Sinsar Dubh were very detailed and grotesque is the best way to describe it. While we don't see all it's actions, it does recount some of them while trying to get a rise out of Mac. It spares no detail, which was a bit hard to read a few of the times.

While there may be some loose ends, I think Mac and Barrons story is mostly told and I'm happy with how it worked out. I do think there's more for them, but not as the focus of the book. Dani definitely has potential for growth and more storytelling. The issues with Dageus and Christian and unresolved, some I'm hoping for more information on those, too. All-in-all, I was very satisfied with the book.....and I can't wait to see where the author takes us next.





No comments:

Post a Comment