Saturday, March 5, 2016

Review The Wall of Winnipeg and Me by Mariana Zapata





Title: The Wall of Winnipeg and Me
Author: Mariana Zapata
Series: Standalone
Release Date: February 28th 2016


Synopsis

Vanessa Mazur knows she's doing the right thing. She shouldn't feel bad for quitting. Being an assistant/housekeeper/fairy godmother to the top defensive end in the National Football Organization was always supposed to be temporary. She has plans and none of them include washing extra-large underwear longer than necessary.

But when Aiden Graves shows up at her door wanting her to come back, she's beyond shocked.

For two years, the man known as The Wall of Winnipeg couldn't even find it in him to tell her good morning or congratulate her on her birthday. Now? He's asking for the unthinkable.

What do you say to the man who is used to getting everything he wants?



Buy Link

 

Review by Iza
 
MZ has always been there for me, whenever I needed a good laugh or swoon. I have read and reread Under Locke six times. It's an eternal favorite. I have also reread her others, a couple of times. As I said, she has them all in her books: great heroines, more or less a-hole alpha heroes, funny side-characters, interesting plot and story line. And hot scenes. Very hot scenes.

Hot scenes that, unfortunately, in her latest books are almost non-existent. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm really not one that needs that in a book. Some of my favorite books are YA, so it's not a must. But in this one, it took too much. When it did happen, I could have gone without it.

But let's talk about the book. Vanessa works for a football player, a famous one. One that can't be bothered with anything, other than his career. He cares about few things in life. He's actually a major douche. I thought Dex Locke was an a-hole! Aiden was more so, because he wasn't volatile like Dex, getting pissed at the drop of a hat. But he was rather cold and didn't treat Vanessa like she was a person. Anyway, he grew on me, gradually, slowly, so very slowly. It's a long process, this relationship of his with Vanessa.

The story took a surprising turn I wasn't expecting. I actually liked the idea, I liked how that brought them together. Aiden woke up caring about one more person. Actually, the story seems to focus on that. There's not much emphasis placed on his football career. Vanessa's career is important, though and we have a very important scene connected to it.

So, while I liked Vanessa, and I liked Aiden because he grew on me - there's this scene where they're watching The Land of the Lost, it made me grin - it's just that. I liked the book. It started out with me loving it, but then it progressed and, by the end, I wasn't wowed by it. I felt something was missing. And I feel it reminds me too much of Kulti. But whereas Kulti I loved, this one... I get slow burn. I do. I'm not one for insta-love. But there's a limit to it and I feel that something between insta-love and this really slow burn would have been better.

I was really excited to read it. I'm actually glad it was received so well, that it's loved by others. I know there's no way one can love everything an author writes, even a fave, so that doesn't mean I'm giving up. Heck no, I'm still #TeamMZ and I'll be waiting for more awesome books of hers.

3.5 stars.


Author Bio

 
Mariana Zapata began writing love stories soon after she learned how to spell. She probably shouldn't admit that she started sneaking romance novels from her aunt's bookshelves way before she was old enough to even understand what it meant when a man flipped up a woman's skirt. (Don't tell her mom.) Luckily, she learned to love the process of two people falling in love instead of all the other juicy stuff.

Mariana is a native Texan living in a small town in Colorado with her husband and two beloved (and emotionally manipulative) Great Danes, Dorian and Kaiser. When she's not pretending to write, she's reading. You can usually find her burning somewhat edible experiments in the kitchen or cracking jokes at the expense of her family members.

She also loves to hear from her readers! 



Books by Mariana

Lingus
Under Locke
Kulti
Rhythm, Chord & Malykhin
The Wall of Winnipeg and Me


To read reviews of MZ's previous books go to:



Check out an exclusive interview with MZ and with two of her alphas, Dex Locke and Reiner Kulti:

 

No comments:

Post a Comment