Saturday, November 22, 2014

Review Blood and Gold, The Vampire Chronicles series by Anne Rice





Title: Blood and Gold
Author: Anne Rice
Series: The Vampire Chronicles  
Release Date: October 16th 2001


Synopsis

Once a proud Senator in Imperial Rome, Marius is kidnapped and forced into that dark realm of blood, where he is made a protector of the Queen and King of the vampires --- in whom the core of the supernatural race resides. Through his eyes we see the fall of pagan Rome to the Emperor Constantine, the horrific sack of the Eternal City at the hands of the Visigoths, and the vile aftermath of the Black Death. Ultimately restored by the beauty of the Renaissance, Marius becomes a painter, living dangerously yet happily among mortals, and giving his heart to the great master Botticelli, to the bewitching courtesan Bianca, and to the mysterious young apprentice Armand. But it is in the present day, deep in the jungle, when Marius will meet his fate seeking justice from the oldest vampires in the world ...  


Buy Links


Author Bio


Anne Rice is a best-selling American author of gothic and later religious themed books. Best known for her Vampire Chronicles, her prevailing thematical focus is on love, death, immortality, existentialism, and the human condition. Her books have sold nearly 100 million copies, making her one of the most widely read authors in modern history. She also writes under the pseudonyms Anne Rampling and A N Roquelaure.

The Vampire Chronicles

Interview with the Vampire
The Vampire Lestat
The Queen of the Damned
The Tale of the Body Thief
Memnoch the Devil
The Vampire Armand
Merrick
Blood and Gold
Blackwood Farm
Blood Canticle
Prince Lestat

 Review

I've always been a fan of vampires. Ever since I was a kid. If I remember correctly, my very first vampire movies were Interview with the Vampire and Bram Stoker's Dracula. So, I have Anne to thank for my love of vampires.

I've read almost all of the vampire books she wrote and, while I didn't love all of them - some I just liked or enjoyed - it's still an all-time favorite series, that I used to sneak-read while in class, keeping the books under my desk.

I love Lestat, I do but Marius is one of my absolute favorite characters ever created. And, as I was reading the books and saw that Blood and Gold was about Marius' life - the parts that were not told in Lestat's book and The Queen of the Damned - I immediately got my hands on the paperback and read it. Savored every page, every word written. My favorite part was where he had met Botticelli. He's one of my favorite artists, so encountering him in the book, seeing how much Marius cared about him... Let's just say, it was pretty awesome.

I've read and reread this book a few times, and each and every time it was amazing. If I were to have the possibility of meeting and sitting down, even for an hour, with a supernatural being, I'd definitely choose Marius. I'd have the perfect partner to discuss Ancient literature with. So, I do highly recommend it for the fans, the readers that want more than just to read a book, any book. This is not one you just flip through.

5 stars and more.

Here are some fan-arts I've found of Marius.



 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment